Volunteer TODAY at PPSC and be part of the countywide Earn It! Keep It! Save It!. EKS provides free, quality tax return preparation to low-to-moderate income community members. We train volunteers to help individuals and families claim their maximum refund because it is our mission to provide free tax preparation service as a tool to help local residents become financially stable. EKS PETALUMA 2015
Last year, more than 255 volunteers helped prepare over 4600 tax returns and returned $5.8 million in total refunds to local residents. This money was returned to the pockets of residents and put back into the local economy, or saved. We need your help to reach even more clients in 2016!
HOW CAN I VOLUNTEER? Review the volunteer positions below and the training required…then contact PPSC to learn more about the opportunity.
All of our Tax Preparers must be trained and certified by the IRS. Training class schedules vary by county and are offered in December and January. On average, three full days or 6 evening sessions of classroom instruction is offered. For tax professionals or experienced volunteers, an online training tool is available starting in November.
Site operation hours vary by site, but each volunteer is asked to commit regularly (at least a 4-hour shift per week), beginning late January through April!
All of our Tax Preparer volunteers need to be comfortable working with a computer.
WHAT VOLUNTEER POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE?
- Tax Preparers assist taxpayers with their tax returns during tax season. Volunteers will complete a training course and become IRS certified to prepare taxes at the Basic or Advanced level. Bilingual tax preparers are always in high demand.
- Greeters welcome tax filers to the tax site and guide them through the intake process prior to their tax appointment. They may also inform taxpayers about other available community resources. Training is provided.
- Interpreters aid taxpayers by working alongside the tax clients and Tax Preparers when needed. Spanish speaking volunteers are always needed. A site orientation is provided by each tax site.
- Resource Coaches provide information to taxpayers about their possible eligibility for other available resources in their community. Training is provided.
- Outreach Volunteers help us spread the word about EKS!
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE IN-CLASS TAX PREPARER TRAINING AND THE SELF-PACED ONLINE TRAINING? The in-class Tax Preparer training is highly recommended for new volunteers. During this training you not only learn tax law but also TaxWise, the IRS computer software we use to file taxes. The in-class setting is the ideal setting to ask questions and also to learn more about the program.
DO I NEED TAX EXPERIENCE TO BE A VOLUNTEER TAX PREPARER? No, though a liking for numbers and analysis does help. We have excellent instructors who will teach you how to help clients file their taxes.